I originally started out this post with “It’s a short list, but…”, and after writing out the list I’d say it’s a pretty reasonable size.
- No more double spaces to end sentences. Although I think it’s a bigger deal that people would notice and complain than whether or not there’s actually an extra space in there, it just seems to be the way things are going
- I intend to adhere to the DRY (Don’t Repeat Yourself) coding principle hard core. I’m already rewriting some PowerShell scripts at home to help solidify my commitment
- I’ve taken a more serious approach to my resume. Gone are fun words like Jedi and Wizard. Replaced are many many bullet points
- Set a schedule and add more time to my day. For example, I’ll be setting up a calendar reminder starting this weekend to bug me weekly to write a blog post here. By being more schedule-based I hope to be more focused and not waste away time being distracted and less focused on tasks at hand. I already try to avoid watching tv/movies and gaming at the same time – it’s time to expand that out to more aspects of my life
- No more soda! I’ve quit cold turkey and while I’ve already had a couple panic moments of “OMG I WANT COKE” I’ve been getting by alright. I hope to never give in to the temptation of the free soda at work
- Find and act on measurable career improvement opportunities. My (kind of former) boss has been helping me with career performance evaluations. His guidance has been super-helpful already. Last night I assessed all of it to look at the bigger picture and will be actively working to improve my “Operational Skills”